Bronze Medal - Plantarium 2012
Brunnera macrophylla or Siberian bugloss 'Silver Heart' was recently bred by Dutch nursery Spitsbergen-Willemsen and introduced into the ornamental plant catalogues in 2012. It combines the qualities of two popular Brunnera:
- the intensely silver leaf blade Brunnera 'Looking Glass',
- the vigour of Brunnera 'Jack Frost' and inimitable reticulated dark green venation ending with a green border around the end of the leaf
- and a bonus! Brunnera macrophylla 'Silver Heart' has broad, thick and clearly heart-shaped leaves. These qualities combine to give it greater resistance to heat and limits the withering of the foliage in summer.
In the garden we like to use it as a focus plant along the edge of a shady border or as a ground cover for light understory planting.
Grow in partial shade in good garden soil.
Height: 30 cm. Spread: 60 cm.
- Deadhead regularly to prolong flowering.
- Cut the foliage right back in early spring. This is also a good time to divide the plant and apply a mulch of mature compost.
- 12 cm pot
- Hardiness zones : zone 7-10
- Height: 30 to 50cm
- Plant spacing: 40 cm
- Flower colour: blue
- Flowering period: spring flowers
® Unlicensed propagation prohibited.