Mini Phormium for a hardscape garden
Native to the montane forests and meadows of New Zealand, Astelia nervosa is an evergreen perennial for temperate climates.
The Astelia nervosa 'Westland' cultivar has a generous bouquet of arched, lance-like bronze leaves with silver highlights (*) and can take on tinges of purple when the winter temperatures drop.
Grown in the ground it can reach one metre in height, whereas in a pot it will only grow to about 50 cm.
Its architectural habit, colourful evergreen foliage and the fact that is is easy to grow make Astelia nervosa 'Westland' a good plant for landscaping purposes.
In a hardscape environment, on a bed of slate or gravel and for mass planting the effect is simply sublime!
Play with contrasts by associating it with rounded-habit euphorbias: Euphorbia characias ssp wulfenii, Euphorbia amygdaloïdes 'Purpurea'.
- In shady gardens silvery plants are fairly unusual. Astelia nervosa can be a useful addition for your plant combinations.
- For daring combinations with orange-flowering or purple plants: : Euphorbia griffithi 'Dixter', Chrysanthemum 'Herbsbrocade', Crocosmia 'Twilight Fairy Gold', Digitalis 'Sutton's Apricot', Echinacea, Geum, Helenium,
- and finally, in a continental climate, it's a good terrace or patio plant (**)
Easy to grow in good, fertile, moist and well-drained garden soil in the sun or slight shade. Astelia nervosa can cope with damp, peaty soils. Hardiness: -8°C
Maintenance: cut back the damaged leaves A protective winter cover is needed in continental climates.
(*) pubescent leaves. The white hairs give the plant a silvery sheen.
(**) in grey-black garden pots from Au grès du temps (garden pots in Normandy)
- 1 litre pot
- Hardiness zones : zone 8-10
- Height: 70 to 100cm
- Plant spacing: 60 cm
- Flower colour: white
- Flowering period: autumn flowers
Small round, coppery-orange flowers.£3.99
Unusual variety for the combination of its orangey-yellow flowers associated with bronze foliagefrom £4.69
An uncommon foxglove.£3.99
Heuchera 'Sugar Plum' is impressive!£4.29
One of the most popular perennials in the worldfrom £2.29
- from £4.69
A mini phormium for shady beds£6.29