2000 Perennial Plant of the Year
The Perennial Plant Association chose Scabiosa columbaria 'Butterfly Blue' as Perennial Plant of the year in 2000. It deserves the award a thousand times over as its ornamental qualities are really exceptional.
- Continuous flowering from late spring until... December, (*)
- Free flowering lavender blue blooms,
- a healthy, compact habit which makes this scabious a choice selection to flower a border or to grow in pots. Height of the foliage: 30 cm max.
Although it appreciates partial shade in hot climates, we prefer to grow it in the sun in ordinary, pH neutral or slightly chalky, light, well-drained soil. Avoid growing it in heavy, damp soil.
Accompanying plants: with silver (Artemisia) and bluish (Festuca - Agropyron) foliage; in a duo with Scabiosa 'Pink Mist'; in a trio with Coreopsis verticiliita 'Moonbeam' and Pennissetum'Hameln'.
(*) depending on the region.
- 12 cm pot
- Hardiness zones : zone 7-10
- Height: 30 to 50cm
- Plant spacing: 80 cm
- Flower colour: blue
- Flowering period: summer flowers
A very beautiful silver !from £3.99
A garden essential£5.29
Bars for butterflies!£4.09
A star plant!from £3.29
THE NEW STARfrom £3.99
One of the most popular perennials in the worldfrom £2.29