Native to the Himalayas (India, Nepal, Bhutan), Delphinium vestitum is found on wooded or rocky slopes, scree and forest edges up to an altitude of 3400 m.
This Delphinium is not often available in nurseries, but it develops generous foliage and does not seem to interest the snails and slugs!
Flowering occurs late at the end of summer: tall floral stems with hairy, purple-blue flowers over one metre in height.
With broad foliage and tall flowers, Delphinium vestitum is a superb species to decorate the back of a rockery when all the other Delphiniums have finished their flowering.
Grow in partial shade in good, moist, humus-rich garden soil, which is well-drained in winter.
- trim the dried floral stems and foliage in late autumn;
- mulch with mature compost at the beginning of winter, taking care to keep the plant's collar clear;
- harvest seeds as soon as they mature and sow in the autumn!
Delphinium vestitum, an unusual late summer flowering
- 0,5L pot
- Hardiness zones : zone 6-10
- Height: 100 cm to 130cm
- Plant spacing: 40 cm
- Flower colour: purple
- Flowering period: summer flowers